Despite missing Ryan MacMillan (suspended) and the Greatwich brothers (on international duty with the Philippines) Tuesday’s visit to Lingfield saw a vastly improved performance from the Blues as they gained a vital point to retain top spot in the table.

The match was played at a very fast pace with a marked contrast in styles with Lingfield playing a long ball game for their lightening quick front men to chase while Ringmer played their quick passing game as they sought to penetrate a strong Lingfield defence. The pattern of the first half was set in the second minute with a superb one-handed reflex save from Joe Adams to deny Scott Courtney. Danny Gillard and Sam McCarthy also went close to scoring. Ringmer’s first real chance came after twenty five minutes as a defensive error by the home side allowed Jo Jo Tubon a chance to shoot but his shot across the goalmouth just eluded Jayson Sowter closing in at the far post. Then Adams dived at full stretch to take the ball off the feet of Jones as he bore down on the Ringmer goal. The last few minutes of the half saw a succession of corners for Lingfield with desperate defending from the Blues need to deny the home side a goal. There was just time for one more Ringmer attack before the halftime whistle with goalkeeper Danny Burke saving Joe Dryer’s well struck free kick.

In the first minute of the second half another free kick from Dryer was chested down for Aaron Last to force home from near the penalty spot to give the Blues the lead. Soon afterwards David Altendorf was unlucky to see his header rebound to safety off the crossbar. Had that ball gone in the game could well have been over but Lingfield continued to create chances and duly equalised twenty minutes from time when a cross from the left fell to Louis Perkins in a congested six-yard box and his first time shot went beyond the reach of Adams. The home side piled the pressure on the Ringmer defence as they pressed for a second goal but it was Ringmer who almost snatched a late winner when a cross from Altendorf narrowly failed Craig Brown in front of goal.

In the end a thoroughly enjoyable game which either side might have won ended with honours even.